Sunday, May 2, 2010

sanctified by faith (part 1a)
what is santification?

At the end of Chapter 3 of You Can Change, Tim Chester does a great job of laying out an explanation of justification and sanctification. These next couple posts will relate to those pages (55-57), so that I can absorb what is being communicated and evidenced here.

What's the difference between justification and sanctification? Justification is probably a little easier to define since 'justify' or 'justified' is more commonly used day to day. However, sanctification, at least from my perspective, isn't as well defined and understood. I can't remember the last time I used it in a sentence or conversation.

Chester puts it pretty plainly, so I won't put much effort into redefining it:

  • Justification is being made right with God.

  • Sanctification is becoming like God.


"God counts me right with him solely because of what Christ as done outside of me without any change on my part. Sanctification, however, takes place within me. It's all about me changing. Justification is a change of my status in God's sight; sanctification is a change of my heart and character"
Tim Chester
You Can Change, pg.56



It would appear that being sanctified is a continual and on-going process. We are never totally like God, and we can only hope to move closer in that direction through the help of the Holy Spirit. I wonder though if justification can be thought of in the same manor - is justification a continual process, or is it a one time occurrence?

No comments:

Post a Comment